Log in

Chromium Zone

Question: Why do people vomit? Can someone make themselves vomit?

Asked by emmagrace to Dalya, Derek, Sarah, Tim, Tom on 21 Jun 2011. This question was also asked by zeinab.

Keywords:

0Short link http://ias.im/42.2342 | Comment on this question

• Photo: Tim MillarTim Millar answered on 20 Jun 2011:

Peopl vomit to remove things from the gut that should’nt be in there especially bacteria and viruses. Its a reflex of muscles allacting together to propell stomach contents out through the mouth.

Yes, people can make themselves vomit

0

• Photo: Sarah ThomasSarah Thomas answered on 20 Jun 2011:

Yes the vomitting reflex is to remove the contents of your stomach from your body. You can vomit for a number of reasons: nausea, food poisoning, gastritis, overeating, motion sickness, drug reaction, migraine and infectious diseases like flu.

Some people can make themselves sick by putting their fingers to the back of their throat. This causes a gagging reflex which can lead to vomitting.

0

• Photo: Derek McKay-BukowskiDerek McKay-Bukowski answered on 20 Jun 2011:

As Tim and Sarah said, it is a reaction to get things out of the stomach.

Sometimes just the sight or smell of something can be so bad, that you feel sick. This is the body almost anticipating the need to clear the stomach out.

0

• Photo: Dalya SoondDalya Soond answered on 21 Jun 2011:

Well, since everyone else has made really great answers, I am going to throw in random info.

The technical term for vomiting is emesis.

0

• Photo: Tom CrickTom Crick answered on 21 Jun 2011:

Due to the existing answers, I was going to link to a video of someone vomiting, but thought better of it as I was eating my lunch…!

1

• Photo: emmagraceemmagrace commented on 21 Jun 2011:

I made myself vomit once and i dont want to do it again! its horrible. try eating butter with cornflakes and spice with chocolate! :(

0

• Photo: SarahSarah commented on 21 Jun 2011:

Ugh butter with cornflakes doesn’t sound good! My puppy ate a packet of butter once because I had forgotten I’d left it on the table and he snaffled it – he wasn’t sick but he couldn’t eat his dinner that night, and strangely it made the lounge smell like popcorn! :-D

0

• Photo: emmagraceemmagrace commented on 23 Jun 2011:

I always wanted to be a scientist and i thought i was one. i found out many things by myself somehow and i thought no one knew these things. im ashamed!

0